Complex Cataract Surgery In San Diego, CA
Complex cataract surgery gives our patients a potentially permanent solution to their cloudy eyes. The board-certified ophthalmologists at American Eye Associates and California Retina Associates are dedicated to ensuring you can see clearly and live comfortably with the most up-to-date diagnostic services and treatments. We are proud to offer complex cataract surgery to men and women in San Diego, Chula Vista, and the neighboring communities of Imperial County, California.
As the eye ages, the natural lens becomes cloudier, allowing less light to pass through. The light that doesn’t make it to the retina is diffused or scattered, leaving vision defocused and blurry.
A cataract is like a cloud over the eye’s natural lens. It interferes with quality of vision and makes normal activities, such as driving a car, using a computer, or seeing people’s faces, increasingly difficult.
The eye doctors at American Eye Associates are experienced cataract surgeons and offer the latest technology for cataract surgery, including laser assisted cataract surgery and advanced IOL options.
What Are The Symptoms Of Cataracts?
- Blurred vision
- Light sensitivity, including sensitivity to lights at night, glare
- Diminished colors
Is A Cataract Diagnosed?
- Only your doctor can effectively diagnose you with cataracts. Our doctors can perform an extensive cataract evaluation exam. During this examination you will undergo several tests, including a retinal exam, a refraction and visual acuity test, and a direct evaluation by your CRA physician. All of these tests are painless.
What Are The Risk Factors?
- Previous eye surgery
- Sunlight and UV exposure
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Prolonged use of steroids and certain other medications
What Are The Treatment For Cataracts?
- The only way to remove cataracts is to undergo cataract surgery. Being diagnosed with cataracts does not mean you need surgery right away. Only your doctor can safely determine when you will be ready for cataract surgery. Most people remove their cataracts so that they may continue to drive safely. When you are ready for cataract surgery, your CRA doctor will have a lengthy discussion about cataract surgery and present to you all the available options and technologies.
What To Expect From Cataract Surgery?
- Cataract surgery is the most commonly performed surgery in the United States and the World. Each of our surgeons has performed thousands of cataract surgeries. At American Eye Associates we have the latest technology to offer, including Laser assisted cataract surgery. Laser assisted cataract surgery offers the added benefits of enhanced precision and customized treatment. The procedure is pain free. Your surgeon will remove your cataract and replace it with an artificial lens called an intraocular lens (IOL).
How Fast Is Recovery?
- Although each patient is different, the majority of patients can resume regular activities within a few days after surgery. You may experience temporary blurry vision right after surgery, but soon after you will notice more clearer vision and brighter colors. Some discomfort in the day or two after surgery is normal, and relieved with over the counter pain medication.
What Are The Risks Of Cataract Surgery?
Cataract surgery is one of the safest procedures to undergo. As any procedure, it carries some risk of side effects or complications.
Potential risks of cataract surgery include:
- Vision changes
- Increased eye pressure
- Retinal detachment
- Secondary cataract (posterior capsule opacity)
Options For Intraocular Lenses (IOLs)?
Several types of IOLs are available. Monofocal IOLs correct vision with one focal point. Many patients with monofocal lenses may still require glasses to correct astigmatism or to read at near. Advanced technology IOLs (ATIOLs) are able to correct astigmatism and help reduce the need for reading glasses. California Retina doctors have access to the latest ATIOLs including, Toric, Multifocal, Extended Depth of Focus and Trifocal IOLs. Your CRA doctor will determine if you are a candidate for ATIOLs.
At American Eye Associates and California Retina Associates, we offer a wide range of cutting-edge treatments, expert surgical techniques, and the latest diagnostic services that will help you live your most healthy and comfortable life. We are happy to offer ophthalmology services to men and women in San Diego, Chula Vista, and the surrounding areas of Imperial County, California. Contact us to schedule your one-on-one consultation with one of our expert ophthalmologists today.