Ayham R. Skaf, M.D.
At American Eye Associates and California Retina Associates, we offer a wide range of cutting-edge treatments, expert surgical techniques, and the latest diagnostic services that will help you live your most healthy and comfortable life. We are happy to offer ophthalmology services to men and women in San Diego, Chula Vista, and the surrounding areas of Imperial County, California. Contact us to schedule your one-on-one consultation with one of our expert ophthalmologists today.
Ayham Skaf, M.D., a senior associate at American Eye Associates, is a fellowship trained retina specialist that treats a wide variety of ocular disorders and aberrant retinal disorders and specializes in conditions such as: diabetic retinopathy, macular degeneration, retinal detachment, uveitis, macular hole and macular pucker. He also performs premium lens and refractive and complex cataract surgery. He is very experienced in MIGS - minimally invasive glaucoma surgery, and enjoys complex surgery such as iris repair, secondary lens fixation and complex retinal detachments. He graduated Magna Cum Laude from The Ohio State University (OSU) in Columbus, Ohio, with a Bachelor of Science degree in Molecular Genetics. He continued at OSU’s College of Medicine, where he received his medical degree with honors. Dr. Skaf’s ophthalmology training included a residency at the Kresge Eye Institute at Wayne State University in Detroit, MI, where he garnered a Surgical Vitreoretinal Fellowship.
In addition to serving as Chief Resident at Resurrection Medical Center in Chicago, IL, Dr. Skaf’s exemplary academic career has afforded him various honors, awards, and teaching opportunities. Additionally, he has published several articles on the diagnosis and treatment of ophthalmic disorders, one of which is “Surgical Treatment of Age-Related Macular Degeneration” in Seminars in Ophthalmology.
Dr. Skaf believes that vision is one of the greatest gifts of life, and has made preserving the vision for others his life’s work. He volunteers his medical and surgical skills to improve the welfare of patients worldwide. His leadership skills have proven extremely helpful in organizing events to benefit others. He volunteered to travel to Guatemala and perform cataract eye surgeries on Guatemalan patients in need of his surgical skills. He takes time to travel to Washington, D.C., to advocate for patients in the politics of medicine. He is fluent in English and Arabic.
Dr. Skaf is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), American Society of Retina Specialists, the AAO Political Action Committee, the AAO Surgical Scope Fund, and the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology. His hospital affiliations include Scripps Memorial Hospital and Sharp Memorial Hospital.
Dr. Skaf has been continuously voted by his peers, both within his specialty and outside, as one of San Diego County’s Top Doctors by the San Diego County Medical Society every year since 2016.
- Ohio State University College of Medicine
- Kresge Eye Institute at Wayne State University, Detroit Michigan
- Surgical Vitreoretinal at Wayne State University, Detroit Michigan
Professional Affiliations & Organizations
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Retina Specialist
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Political Action Committee
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Surgical Scope Fund
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
Awards & Recognitions
- San Diego County Medical Society Top Doctor for 2016 every year since 2016
- Magna Cum Laude from The Ohio State University, Columbus Ohio
- Chief Resident at Medical Center, Chicago Illinois
- Castle Connolly Top Doctor 2022
- Recognized in 2022 for being a valued volunteer of EyeCare America® helping assist 2.1 million patients with access to eye care and resources